If you have questions that cannot be answered by reading the information on this page - or on those pages linked to it - please feel free to use the contact information provided below to send us an email or give us a call.

Export Controls Officer

Senior Administrative Coordinator

Wyman Park Center W400
Fax: 410-516-7775





image image

The Export Controls Office (ECO) at Johns Hopkins University develops, monitors and documents a program that is focused upon preventing the transfer of certain restricted items and information to certain foreign countries or to their citizens. Some of the ECO's day-to-day functions include:

  • Identifying activities throughout the Johns Hopkins enterprise that are controlled by U.S. export control regulations
  • Communicating with Federal agencies or other regulatory bodies to ensure institutional compliance with export control regulations
  • Counseling and training Hopkins personnel to identify export control issues and to address the issues in cooperation with the ECO

For all Hopkins Personnel whose work involves foreign countries and/or their citizens:

An Essential Introduction to Export Controls
To the Federal Government, an "export" is not just a shipment of goods overseas. It can also be a face-to-face discussion of technical know-how with a foreign national in a Hopkins laboratory. Some exports and other transactions with foreign nationals are forbidden by Federal regulations in the absence of a license. Your Export Control Office strongly recommends that you watch its Introduction to Export Controls in order to assess your risk of violating U.S. export-control and sanctions regulations.

Important Change to USCIS Form I-129 (Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker): Export Control Certification Required for
H-1B, H-1B1, L-1, or O-1A Visa Petitions

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) have changed their I-129 form in significant ways. One of the changes involves the addition of a section requiring certification that technology or technical data that will be released to a Hopkins foreign-national employee during the period of his/her employment will/will not require a license from the U.S. Department of Commerce or the U.S. Department of State. If you anticipate a need to request that an H-1B, H-1B1 (Chile & Singapore), L-1, or O-1A visa petition be submitted for a foreign citizen to work in your department, center, etc., then we strongly recommend that you first view our Introduction to Export Controls and then read our page on the I-129 Export Control Certification process (its print version is here).

Traveling to Another Country?
When you travel outside the U.S., you become an “exporter” subject to US export control and sanction program regulations.  Depending upon your destination, you may need a license to take certain tangible items and technical information (hard copy and electronic) with you.  A license may also be required to discuss certain technical information in a foreign country, and in some cases even to provide or receive certain non-technical services and information.  One cannot assume that a license is not required for their international travel simply because the focus of their work involves, for example, basic science, public health, or the humanities.  Please verify that your trip is unlikely to involve restricted exports and other activities by reading the information provided here.


link to research portal link to research link to jhu.edu